Sales trainer and marketing guru Jeff Gitomer says it well: “The key to social media is being business social proactive with a value message.” In his book, Social Boom, he provides five tips for getting there:
- Tweet a value message every day. Just one. Something that your customers and your prospects would consider valuable.
- Blog one paragraph every day that includes your tweet. Something that others consider valuable. All you have to do is wake up in the morning and start writing.
- Connect your social media accounts so that what you post on one appears on all of them.
- Post events of importance on your business Facebook page. Especially post interactions with customers.
- Now begin the invitation process. Start inviting everyone you know, and everyone you can think of, to join you on LinkedIn, “Like” you on Facebook, follow you on Twitter, and check out your YouTube videos. Make the invitation a personal one, not a standard one. Not everyone will honor your request. But when people start to receive valuable information from you on a regular basis, they will begin to tell others. People will comment on your Facebook page. They will retweet you. And they will proactively connect with you on LinkedIn.
Another Gitomer tip: sign up for an account at Ace of Sales. There’s a $20 monthly fee, but it will enable you to access Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter from the homepage with just one click. It also can help you create and distribute your own e-zine.