Background & Summary
Digital Surgeons is a demand design consultancy that partners with brands in high growth categories to explore and unlock new business-building possibilities. We’re headquartered in our very own technology & innovation campus in New Haven called District, and our work has been featured in TechCrunch, Forbes, and The Webby Awards to name a few.
This Project Leader role will operate on multiple levels, both internally and externally, to lead and manage enterprise the day-to-day work of the design strategy & consulting practice here at Digital Surgeons. Equal parts consultant, producer, and product manager, they’ll work to build specialized approaches to executing work grounded in the tenets of Design Thinking and Agile – operationalizing the right tactics to help teammates to focus on their respective contributions, getting the right people in the right place at the right time to produce work that delivers extraordinary results. This Project Leader will essentially serve as the centralized communicator and distributor of information to all team members and key stakeholders across a number of key accounts, continuously working to mitigate risk by anticipating various scenarios throughout the course of a project and build actionable contingency plans accordingly.
Success will be measured by project excellence, client satisfaction and retention, client business growth for DS, and reaching team goals.
What You’ll Do
- Define and formulate an operational approach to manage projects as effectively and efficiently as possible leaning on agency software offerings.
- Lead, manage and be accountable for each step of the internal process from the early planning stages through fully executed deliverables.
- Open projects and build project plans along with inputs from other leads.
- Scoping, Scheduling, Resourcing, Risk mitigation, Cost Management, and Stakeholder communications
- Work with engagement leads to identify, procure, onboard, and allocate needed resources for key activities (internally or external vendor partners)
- Build internal schedules and ensure that each department is aligned with the approach.
- Maintain and archive detailed records of the life of a project (in Miro, Dropbox, & Forecast).
- Delegate and communicate task assignments to the appropriate people within the agency and follow through to make sure work is being done in a timely manner.
- Proactively remove barriers by closely monitoring all active tasks while flagging potential risks.
- Provide quality control by ensuring work has been properly routed through and checked by all appropriate parties for QA.
- React quickly to unexpected updates/challenges and update the project plan accordingly.
- Manage incoming and outgoing information strategically in order to effectively communicate with team members and key stakeholders.
- Communicate workload and staffing needs proactively Head of Client Success and Brand Experience Team.
- Facilitate and run project debriefs and retrospectives), if necessary, to ensure we apply learnings to future projects.
- Plan, coordinate, and schedule internal and external meetings, workshops, and listening sessions with key stakeholders.
- Manage an agile-style backlog of tasks and activities necessary to accomplish the goals of the client, while consulting key stakeholders on best practices for developing and managing theirs.
- Build and maintain product feature roadmaps, user stories, and any documentation required to co-create digital products and solutions on behalf of the client
- Hold daily/weekly stand-ups to align teams and stakeholders for day-to-day activities – following with next steps
- Actively contribute to ideation sessions, discussions, and collaborative workshops, that propose strategic solutions for driving innovation and digital transformation within and across various client business units.
What You’ll Bring
The person we are looking for needs to be consistently proficient in these skills.
Written Communications – Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
Problem Solving – Use rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective outcomes; can see hidden problems; is excellent at honest analysis; looks beyond the obvious and doesn’t stop at the first answers.
Priority Setting – Spends his/her time and the time of others on what’s important; quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial aside; can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; eliminates roadblocks; creates focus.
Listening – Practices active listening; has the patience to hear people out; can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard; is action oriented and full of energy for things he/she sees as challenging; not fearful of acting with a minimum of planning; seizes more opportunities than others.
Interpersonal Savvy – Relates well to all kinds of people (up, down, and sideways; inside and outside the organization); builds appropriate rapport; builds constructive and effective relationships; uses diplomacy and tact; can diffuse even high-tension situations comfortably.
Dealing with Ambiguity– Can effectively cope with change; can shift gears comfortably; can decide and act without having the total picture, and is capable of handling risk and uncertainty with grace.
Customer Focus– Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services. Always acts with customers in mind, establishing and maintaining relationships to gain their trust and respect.
- 5+ years of Product Management in a SaaS-centric start-up environment, enterprise organization, or digital consultancy
- Experience working with enterprise clients
- Experience managing budgets and P&L
- Experience balancing scope, schedule, and budget in a complex project while consistently driving quality of the deliverables and success.
- Solid understanding of Design Thinking methodologies with proven experience in creating new processes or ideas
- Experience with vendor sourcing and management
- Expert knowledge of Spreadsheets and other cloud-based project management applications to build, manage, and maintain project timelines and milestones.
- Curious and creative thinker who constantly asks ‘why’
- An excellent problem solver with a demonstrated ability to exercise critical thinking while consensus building
- An excellent problem-solver with a demonstrated ability to exercise critical thinking while consensus building, who is confident negotiating resolutions, proposing innovative solutions and driving efficient group decision-making while operating under pressure
- Lives and breathes technology in the B2B space – knows about all the latest consumer tech trends for business customers
- Ability to interact with a diverse multi-language speaking teams (non native english speakers) and support customer stakeholders while navigating an environment of high level ambiguity
- Display strong consulting and collaboration skills to work with partners to understand business problems and focus on bringing issues to resolution, escalating a necessary to meet timelines.
- Effective story-telling and communication skills with experience in either keynote, powerpoint, or other presentation software preferred.
- Experience with workshop facilitation, planning and production preferred.
This is a full time position, eligible for enrollment in the Company’s benefits program including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, and 401k.
To be a catalyst for new possibility and growth for brands, businesses and their teams.
To use creativity and curiosity to drive the world forward.
Our values guide all our decisions at DS – big or small
Be Curious: The world is constantly changing, and the more we ask, explore, wonder, understand, and ideate on, the more we can accomplish. Curiosity helps us understand what’s happening today, so we can define what’s possible tomorrow for ourselves and for you.
Care Greatly: About our work. About our partners. About each other. We’re at our best when we care about designing demand, who we’re doing it for, and why we’re even doing it in the first place. By opening up our hearts, we create human connections that benefit everyone.
Adapt and Respond: Change is inevitable, and we know that those who welcome it and react effectively are the ones who succeed. That’s why we find not uncertainty but wonder & possibility in change. It’s a new opportunity to create, to collaborate, and to change our world for the better.
Simply Believe: There’s magic to be discovered through business, technology, and creativity. It’s in there, in us, and in you, but only if you believe in it. When you do, we can transform businesses and inspire people to engage with brands — even to fall in love with them
Digital Surgeons is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics or those of a family member, or any other basis protected by applicable law.