Background & Summary
Digital Surgeons is a creative consultancy and full-service digital marketing agency for brands that are forward-obsessed and looking to spark new ways to drive demand for their business. We’re headquartered in our very own technology & innovation campus in New Haven called District, and our work has been featured in TechCrunch, Forbes, and The Webby Awards to name a few.
The Associate Creative Director, Writer helps lead branded campaigns & content for DS and its clients. This creative leader and practitioner of ideas & words supports content endeavors from ideation to social strategy and everywhere else the world takes us, writing all the words that connect consumers and make them think, feel, and act. You will be relied on for leadership, including planning, resourcing, budgeting, teaching, and hiring, as well as building client relationships – from presentations to workshops – and supporting the creative team with your ideas and words across all channels and tactics. Success is measured by client satisfaction, lead time per project, team billable utilization, and effectiveness of campaigns delivering client objectives.
What You’ll Do
- Project Execution & Quality
- Execute creative content development: Concepting to drafting to directing to writing to proofing, while always collaborating
- Channel Agnostic: We touch campaigns, social, video scripts, email, landing pages, search ads, banner ads, blog articles, and all types of creative writing projects, so you’ll need to be versatile!
- Industry-Informed: Identify creative, innovative, on-brand solutions that solve customer problems
- Brainstorm Machine: Ideate new concepts and approaches
- Help Own the Room: Provide a point of view to effectively communicate and present the creative direction to project stakeholders (both internally and externally)
- Start With Why: Participate in discussions to clarify purposes and objectives that bring brand strategy and creative ideas to life
- Elevate the Team: Collaborate across teams, sharing knowledge and delivering the best work possible for the client
- Be a North Star: Set and follow creative direction for projects and key brand experiences across all mediums
- Advocate for Brand Consistency: Engage with brands to fulfill voice & tone guidelines and ensure work meets quality standards and style guidelines
- Be Client-Informed: Deeply understand our clients’ business and strategic objectives
- Enable Performant Content: Partner with clients to create content that addresses unique opportunities and challenges and resonates with consumers
- Lead from Within the Trenches: Lead multiple creative projects, directing others on execution, while also diving in with your own written words & ideas
- Craft Storytelling that Sells: Create and write compelling presentation and pitch decks that have a distinct narrative and story
- Team Leadership
- General Management: Managing team members in content creation – writing or even productions!
- Mentorship: Trains team members and others on best practices, approaches, and philosophy, anchored in the DS core values As an ACD, you’ll be helping mentor younger creatives to help them foster their talents and ability to create world-class creative solutions and writing.
- Leveling Up the Company: Advocates for best practices of copywriting and brand messaging throughout the organization
- Industry-informed: Keeps up to date with industry trends, reports back finding to the company and uses this knowledge to bring new ideas to projects
- Network: Build freelance and content creator network to partner with and outsource where needed
- Cast Study Content: Write and direct client case studies as needed
- Awards Submissions: Identify opportunities for Awards submission wins
- Internal Processes
- Improving Efficiency: Influences and implements processes that increase company efficiency and thus, profitability (Ways of working, the collaboration between teams both inside and outside of content/creative department)
- Timelines: Develop and manage workflows and timelines to ensure accurate and timely project delivery
- Crafting Guides: Creates documentation that can be used as guides for other departments to effectively translate brands to other touchpoints
- Opportunity-Seeking: Identifies opportunities and develops initiatives that ladder opportunities
- Team Lead Support: Support VP, Creative and other creative leads as needed. May be asked for input into resourcing, project estimation, and vendor management
- Upsell Opportunities: Makes recommendations and proactively suggests ideas to upsell clients (looks for opportunities)
What You’ll Bring
The person we are looking for needs to be consistently proficient in these skills.
Creativity Comes up with a lot of new and unique ideas; easily makes connections among previously unrelated notions; tends to be seen as original and value-added in brainstorming settings
Functional/Technical Skills Has the functional and technical knowledge and skills to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.
Directing Others Is good at establishing clear directions; sets stretching objectives; distributing the workload appropriately; laying out work in a well-planned and organized manner; maintaining two-way dialogue with others on work and results; brings out the best in people; is a clear communicator.
Customer Focus Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers; gets first-hand customer information and uses it for improvements in products and services; acts with customers in mind; establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect.
Innovation Management Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market; has good judgment about which creative ideas and suggestions will work; has a sense about managing the creative process of others; can facilitate effective brainstorming; can project how potential ideas may play out in the marketplace.
Written Communications Is able to write clearly and succinctly in a variety of communication settings and styles; can get messages across that have the desired effect.
- Comfortable speaking to, collaborating with, and engaging in various skillsets of creative work, including copywriting, art direction, photography, and design.
- Experience leading and managing successfully
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively
- Prowess in a variety of channels and outputs, including social media, campaigns, emails, websites & landing pages, and print
- You have 8+ years of integrated marketing and creative experience and can efficiently own and manage copywriting work & processes.
- You love ideas — brainstorming, ideating, concepting — and bring creative ideas to everything, every day.
This is a full-time position, eligible for enrollment in the Company’s benefits program including medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance, and 401k.
To be a catalyst for new possibilities and growth for brands, businesses, and their teams.
To use creativity and curiosity to drive the world forward.
Our values guide all our decisions at DS – big or small
Be Curious: The world is constantly changing, and the more we ask, explore, wonder, understand, and ideate on, the more we can accomplish. Curiosity helps us understand what’s happening today, so we can define what’s possible tomorrow for ourselves and for you.
Care Greatly: About our work. About our partners. About each other. We’re at our best when we care about designing demand, who we’re doing it for, and why we’re even doing it in the first place. By opening up our hearts, we create human connections that benefit everyone.
Adapt and Respond: Change is inevitable, and we know that those who welcome it and react effectively are the ones who succeed. That’s why we find not uncertainty but wonder & possibility in change. It’s a new opportunity to create, to collaborate, and to change our world for the better.
Simply Believe: There’s magic to be discovered through business, technology, and creativity. It’s in there, in us, and in you, but only if you believe in it. When you do, we can transform businesses and inspire people to engage with brands — even to fall in love with them
Digital Surgeons is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, identity and expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, marital status, veteran status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information or characteristics or those of a family member, or any other basis protected by applicable law.